Professional Male Mentor
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area (Friends-SF) is the San Francisco chapter of a national mentoring organization with a proven track record of helping our most vulnerable children break the cycle of generational poverty.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors –- we call them “Friends” -– to provide a stable, caring, and sustained relationship in each child’s life for 12-1/2 years, no matter what!
We are seeking to hire a full-time male mentor to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with eight boys who need it most. That Friend will:
· Set positive expectations
· Nurture and promote each child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
· Help assure physical and emotional well-being
· Teach life and academic skills
· Provide enrichment activities
· Model responsible behavior
Each Friend will spend approximately four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Director of Programs.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Minimum of AA degree, BA preferred
· At least 1 to 2 years experience working with at-risk youth
· Familiarity with the Bayview Hunters Point section of San Francisco or similar communities a plus.
· Must pass drug screening
· Must have safe driving record
· Must pass fingerprint and background checks
· Must possess a mission-driven growth mindset
· Must be comfortable using web based data management tools
· Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage
· Work hours may vary but are generally 10am-6pm, Tuesday - Saturday. Flexibility and reliability is essential.
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
· You’ll start in the early stages of a growing nonprofit
· You’ll be part of adynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model;
· You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged;
· You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected; and
· Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping San Francisco’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
Salary: $40,000 to $45,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
Benefits: Full Medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(k)matching plan, basic life insurance and long term disability insurance; 3 weeks of paid vacation and 2 weeks of paid sick leave per year, generous allowances for mileage, cellphone and other child-related expenses.
To learn more about Friends-SF, please go to: friendssfbayarea.org
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in ourworkplace. We are fiercely committed to equity and will ensure that every aspect of our mission is executed with full engagement of the communities impacted by our work.
Local (San Francisco Bay Area) candidates only.
Cover letter required for consideration. Please tell us why you would make a terrific Friend!